Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reviewing Election Results

The day after the November 3rd election, the Shelley City Council met and reviewed the votes, otherwise known as canvassing. Nothing much to report, the outcomes of all the contests stand. The official numbers are listed below:

Votes cast: 489 (2 spoiled)

Voters who registered election day: 32

Total registered voters: 1764

Percentage of Registered voters that voted: 28%

It looks like Shelley residents felt this was an important election with 32 people showing up to register at City Hall. No doubt these electors had an impact on the close outcome of the Croft/Russell/Hinckley race. Two votes were spoiled? What exactly does that mean? Who were the votes for? With the outcome of councilman Croft's seat decided by only four votes, two spoiled votes could be important.

Does this election signal a growing interest in local government? Issues like annexation and the use and price of city utilities can be thorny ones for a growing community like Shelley. I know the election was important to me if only for the fact it made me realize how out of it I have been and how little connected I am to my local government. As far as voter turn out, I couldn't say if this election was more than any other but it would be interesting to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment